Re: [OM] Whale watching gear selection

Subject: Re: [OM] Whale watching gear selection
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:47:33 +0100
> Here's what I have at my disposal:
> 24/2.8
> 28/3.5
> 50/1.8
> 135/3.5
> 70-210/4.5-5.6
> 2XA TC
> linear polarizer (is it worth is to get a circular one for this trip?)
> OM1-MD
> OM2SP

I wouldn't recommend a 70-210 and a teleconverter - the viewfinder goes
very dim, focussing is tricky, and quality is noticably poorer anyway.
I've used a 70-210 zoom and a teleconverter together before -
http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/astro/photos/eclipse/pictures/eclipse3.jpg
- but that was for a fairly still subject and I was on terra firma.  For
whales I reckon it'd be too difficult.

I've never done whale photography before, so this could be bad advice,
but I'd probably take the 50/1.8, the 135/3.5 and the 2X.  Changing
lenses is probably pretty tricky in a little boat on the high seas, so
few is good, I'd think.

Roger