Re: [OM] [OT] A beautiful site

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A beautiful site
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 06:45:59 EDT
I'd imagine it'll get much more difficult to arrange a launch viewing unless
one lives in Florida. NASA  now is only giving the public 24 HRS advance
notice of a launch, due to post- Sept 11th attacks. Just the other day a guy
in a light plane who strayed into restricted airspace while the shuttle was
on the pad was "escorted" to the nearest airport by an F-15.

It's always been difficult to plan a trip to a launch due to the common
delays.  About 4 or 5 years ago when I was on a family vacation in Florida, I
drove over to the Cape at 3:00 AM to catch a launch, only to hear on the
radio while still driving that that morning's launch was scrubbed!
My parents retired to Florida's west coast, and they were able to actually
see the flames from clear across the state as the shuttle climbed when it
would launch at night.

George S.