Re: [OM] To infinity.. and beyond?

Subject: Re: [OM] To infinity.. and beyond?
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:55:26 EDT
Cc: DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 04/09/2002 11:47:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"Question: it focuses fine all the way up to infinity -- but then it'll
focus a bit further. The focus scale on the lens makes it pretty clear that
this is deliberate -- there's a mark at infinity, and then the scale
continues a bit -- but why? What's the advantage of focussing further away
than infinity?"

This is common on long telephotos. It's necessary to compensate for thermal
expansion when things get warm. IIRC my Zuiko 300/4.5 goes a bit past
infinity as well (but I don't have it here with me to verify).

Paul Schings