Re: [OM] light meters for a beginner

Subject: Re: [OM] light meters for a beginner
From: Ian Nichols <i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:49:49 +0100
In article <000d01c1e006$7c35c9d0$34b51e3e@eric>,
   Eric Boyce <ericboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone any reccomendations for a reasonablely priced light
> meter for low light/night photography? under £200.00

I got myself a Gossen Sixtomat Flash a couple of years ago and have been
v. happy with it - I use it for flash and ambient metering particularly
with my old rangefinders and OM-1 (which hasn't had a battery in it for a
while now).  It has a stop or so better low light performance than the
similarly priced and styled Sekonic L318 (I think that's the model).  Cost
me about UKP130 at the time

> Currently experimenting with Fuji ASA100 and Ilford 125,
> but would like to try slide film, and from what ive read, exposure
> needs to be reasonably accurate.

In low light, exposure isn't the only thing you need to worry about with
colour slides.  I have a very nice still-life of some leaves and an old
tree root on a gravel path which was exposed for 2 minutes near dusk - it
came out very blue - just like Kodak's data sheet implied it would (it
said use 075Y filter for exposure times of 120 seconds).  Fortunately I
was able to rescue it in the digital domain with a bit of colour
adjustment.

I assume you know about reciprocity failure?

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |              http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/         |
|  \-/| |  /  |                 i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           |
|             *                   i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx               |