Re: [OM] Introduction & Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Introduction & Question
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:35:23 -0300

> Wayne Culberson wrote:
> >
> > Ralph wrote
> > >Thanks to the recommendations on the list, I've been
> > >working through the Freeman Patterson books, and have
> > >found them to be a great help.  He has a simple
> > >formula that I now have always running through my head
> > >before I take the shot: CDE, Composition, followed by
> > >DOF, and lastly Exposure.
> >
> > I have some of his books as well. The first I read of his were back in
the
> > 80's if I remember right. His writings were what got me interested in
macro
> > photography, and were the start to getting me to think differently about
> > photography. Probably the biggest way he influenced me is causing me to
see
> > photo opportunities right here, that is, without having to travel to
foreign
> > or exotic places. Sometimes the familiar is the hardest place to see a
> > photo. I don't agree with all his philosophies, or religious views,
which
> > come out at least subtly in his books, but he does know photography. He
> > lives here in southern NB, so I've also had the chance to attend a
benefit
> > slide show of his. Very good. I don't have his latest book on
impressionism,
> > though I've looked at it, and passed it up at a book signing he had
here.
> > Alas, you should be aware, AFAIK, he is a Minolta user. :-)
> > Wayne
>
> Wayne ......... we were in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia last autumn [we
> drove 5000 k round Nova Scotia] and I asked several people where
> Patterson's home at "Shampers Bluff" is and not one person knew except
> to opine that it might be a bend somewhere on the Saint John River!
>
> John

Shamper's Bluff is on the Kingston Peninsula (a peninsula formed by
Kennebecasis and St. John river systems). You have to cross a river ferry at
Westfield, or at Gondola Point, or else travel about 20 minutes from Saint
John to Hampton, then turn off there, to go to Shamper's Bluff. Most
tourists would miss it, as it is certainly not on the beaten trail. I used
to live in Hampton, which is maybe 15 or 20 minutes from Shamper's Bluff,
for 9 years (1990-99). His home is even more secluded, but anyone can drive
by there if you know where to look. He has photography workshops in the area
every year (hosted at a local B&B), along with the fellow who co-authored
his last book.  Likely out of my reach financially. But I've been told that
even photographers who are very amature are welcome.
http://www.freemanpatterson.com/Mainpage.html
Wayne