Re: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinders vs. SLR's
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:08:25 EDT
The Mamiya 7 is an amazing camera/outfit.  I don't handhold mine because I
want maximum quality -med f8 or so stops and slow film, so I use a tripod
although one could easily handhold I suppose.
You can shoot faster film and insure shaper images handheld but the reason I
shoot a larger negative is for quality so that would defeat the purpose and
boost  grain with the faster film.  Mamiya makes a non rangefinder coupled
210mm f8 that everyone complains about it's slow f stop.  My tripod argument
holds strong against that as well.  You "should" shoot at f8 anyway in the
quest for optimum quality.
I also shoot with a Contax G2 and having no mirror is beautiful.  I do feel I
can handhold slower but have no numbers or evidence.
My SLR gear is for macro and telephoto work but conveniently takes care of
all in between when I have to go light, otherwise the rangefinders  tag along
(with that tripod ofcourse : )

John
Olympia, WA

<< Let me know what you guys think of the Mamiya 7, and rangefinders vs.
SLR's
 in general with respect to how slow of a shutter speed can be handled on
 each.

 My gf can't hold 1/125th steady... so....

 Albert  >>