Re: [OM] 8 mm Fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] 8 mm Fisheye
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 23:32:16 -0700
on 4/9/02 5:22 PM, M. Lloyd at royer007@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This is just a suggestion, but do you think maybe
> another lens manufacturer such as Schneider that does
> custom work might be able to grind out the elements
> you need? It just seems that there isn't anywhere to
> find these elements you are looking for and since
> Schneider does custom work they might be able to help
> you. Dunno what that would cost of course... Here is
> the url
> http://www.schneideroptics.com/oem/custom_solutions/
>

> Mark Lloyd

I suppose its possible, but right off the mark I can think I would need the
full specifications for each element... Size, curvatures, glass material,
coatings, tolerances... I don't think that information is available anywhere
but from Olympus and I can't see them sharing it.

Then there is the cost factor... I can put a little $$ into fixing this
lens, but somewhere along the way it gets uneconomic and makes more sense to
buy another one. That somewhere is upwards of $10 and somewhere well below
$1000... especially for a 'limited usefulness' lens like a circular fisheye.

For the few pictures I'd ever take with it one of those screw-in adapters
makes more sense than spending even $1 fixing it, but I just can't bring
myself to not try to save a Zuiko of such rare vintage.
--

Jim Brokaw