Re: [OM] WTB: Junker 85-250 Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB: Junker 85-250 Zuiko
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:09:41 -0700
on 4/9/02 6:26 PM, John Hermanson at omtech@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If they don't sell one of a certain item in, let's say for the sake of
> numbers,  a 5 year span, they consider it a  part that is just taking up
> space in a drawer, so it most likely gets dumped.  85-250 is old, that's why
> there aren't any in stock. Japan most likely doesn't have them either, they
> throw them away, it's a business decision, a tax deduction and that's all!
> All the complaining in the world won't make any difference, especially for a
> camera system they are getting away from.
> _________________________________
> John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
> Camtech, Olympus Sales & Service since 1977
> New OM & Used, Digital, Pearlcorders, Binoculars
> 21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714
> 631-424-2121 For Free Olympus manuals,
> please call 1-800-221-3000

Where I last worked we wrote off $millions in 'excess and obsolete'
inventory. I was assigned to try to recover some value for it if possible...
I managed to get something like 50n some of the generic electronic
components and connectors, but a lot of the rest of the stuff was just
turned over to a junk dealer to scrap. The company netted about $60,000 for
writing off $4,000,000 in inventory (this is a 'good' management
decision...!)

Suppose we could form a fund to buy out the OM parts that Olympus is
otherwise going to just dump in the trash...? They might take an offer of
1-3% and the parts could then be held for the future. I suppose it would
take someone with some spare attic space, but camera parts can't take up all
that much room. Olympus must have 'five of this element and seven of that
piece of glass, wrapped in tissue in a little plastic bag' times hundreds of
parts... Once those are gone, you're never going to get them recreated in
the future.
--

Jim Brokaw