Re: [OM] WTB: Junker 85-250 Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB: Junker 85-250 Zuiko
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:51:03 -0400
Well, we can take heart in knowing that Leicas and Contaxes built in the '30s still work today, and that anything mechanical can always be duplicated (by the right person, for a price, and as long as you have the part that failed or a second body from which to take the part's measurements.) Hmmm... guess I'll need to pick up an OM-1 or 1n soon!

Ed Senior

ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

It would be too much of a bother for Olympus to do that, unless 1 or 2 people bought out the whole lot of parts, and you're talking serious cash. The Ford example is an example that it can be done, but just think of the sheer size that the Ford presence in the Philippines was, and people knew there'd be a huge market demand for spare parts to keep their Fords running. Can one afford financially to just throw their car away and get another? Not very likely. Can they do it with their camera? You bet they can. It's a lot easier financially. IMO, there's no "huge" amount of money to be made on camera parts. After all, when the cost of a part exceeds the economical repair cost of the camera, you're forced to junk the camera and buy another camera, regardless of our sentimental bond to the Olympus system. There are plenty of other choices out there, digital has taught us that much, right?! Is there a "huge" demand for Olympus parts? I'd think not. We may think we matter, but, sadly, we only matter to ourselves. Our numbers just are not there.