RE: [OM] [OT] A beautiful site, now Merlin sounds

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] A beautiful site, now Merlin sounds
From: "John Cwiklinski" <plinkochips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:29:10 -0700
Jim Timpe wrote:

Not just flying things. They used to make the most beautiful sounds coming from a fleet of unlimited hydroplanes racing around a two mile race course on Lake Washington... before the shrill whine of turbines took over. Sweet >memories.<<

Seems like we're getting sentimental on the list (i.e. moon landings, etc.). I remember the Gold Cup Hydroplane races (unlimited) on the Detroit River and the sound of the Rolls Royce engines with monster roostertails. Very, very cool. Miss Budweiser was/is the crowd favorite. The sad part was I never took my OM camera to this annual event. It is not the same since they introduced the turbine engines.

John Cwiklinski