RE: [OM] [OT] A beautiful site, now Merlin sounds

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] A beautiful site, now Merlin sounds
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:36:29 -0700
Somewhere I've got some prints or slides I took (with my original OM-1 and
probably my Soligor 70-220 boat anchor) of Dean Chenoweth trying to
establish the speed record on Lake Washington in the Bud.  It was a turbine
by this time.  Here's the kicker.  I was working swing shift at the time and
had to leave for work at about 3PM... he'd already made perhaps four passes.
On my way to work, I heard on the radio that he'd blown over on run five or
six.  I probably missed it by 20 minutes or so.  Fortunately, he wasn't
seriously hurt in this attempt (he died a couple years later in a race
blow-over).

If my memory serves me, he did 220-230 mph on one of those runs, but failed
to make the record.

I need to dig through my 'junk' and look for those photos.