RE: [OM] 300/4.5 vs. 135/2.8 + 2x-A

Subject: RE: [OM] 300/4.5 vs. 135/2.8 + 2x-A
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:31:48 -0500
Well, I?m with you so far? I?ve got the -1n, winder, sparks skin, but
excess equipment ? now that?s too far! ;-)

I usually carry around a pelican case for most of the work, but if I am
just on foot I will have the 35 shift and 135 as a min., w/ the possible
addition of 21/3.5, and/or fisheye.  If I have a tripod, I am not
opposed to the weight, but I really want to know about performance.  The
2x-A is pretty good as far as TC go, but is there something magical
about the 300/4.5?

<snip>

Depends on whether you are out taking pictures or just hanging around a
bunch of Zuikoheads.  The subjects of your pictures don't care, however
if you are doing the latter, you should have the silver nosed 300 mm
f4.5 with the left hand tripod mount and no UV filter on your OM 1n with
a winder 2 attached with no batteries as you will only be using it as a
grip.  Not sure if it would be better to have the chrome or black body,
but a set of the Sparks leathers would certainly elevate you to a
different level.  Now the bottom line (which I'm sure will be a surprise
to everyone) . . . you need all three pieces.  If you have not totally
lost it, you may wish to let your pocket book be your guide.  If the
pocket book is not an issue, refer back to my original suggestion.  Bill
Barber