Re: [OM] B&W film scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W film scanning
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:55:06 +0100
Cc: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'll give that a go Tris.  But what is a raw image?  I sort of
understand the formats like GIF, TIFF and JPEG, but what is the raw
file?

Chris

At 13:42 -0700 9/4/02, Tris Schuler wrote:
I agree Ken.  B & W is difficult to get right.  I find that if I
try to improve anything, I make it look false.  It's still fun
though...

I should be interested if anyone clever has managed to sort out
some profiles; I use mainly FP4 and HP5, although I am giving
Neopan 400 a go.\

I soon ditched the profiles that came with the Polaroid SS4000 (some
of which were fairly close) and instead only generate RAW TIFF
files, then work with those in software (for both B&W and color
films). Why don't give that a try?  I've only shot TMax (100 and
3200) and Tri-X since I got my scanner, but the results have been
fine. (I don't like the TMax emulsions that much and probably won't
buy any more of either, but the finished images from the RAW scans
have turned out as expected.)

Tris

--
<|_:-)_|>