Re: [OM] I love my OM

Subject: Re: [OM] I love my OM
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 06:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Howdy from the Rocky Mountain West;
>
> I discovered again why I love my Olympus OM cameras.
>  A customer, art
> student at the university came to me with his Ca*on
> A2. <snip> Well, I could not for the life of me
figure out how
> to do it with the
> A2.  It is just not very intuitive.  You have to
> fiddle with buttons and
> dials and look at LCDs when with an OM2 (or any OM)
> you simply set it on
> manual, meter the gray card, make one shutter speed
> setting (I usually
> preset the aperture at f/8) then take photos. It
> could hardly be
> simpler.
> Thanks, Mike
  I think we all have had expierences like that, times
that remind us how fortunate we are to have simple
equipment and the photo know-how to use it. Just a
week ago some friends wanted to show me ther new
camera. The husband had purchased it for the wife
thinking a "better" camera would improve her
photography. He bought a Nikon F100 with a 28-70 f2.8
nikkor and SB something flash. Both were somewhat
unhappy that the pictures taken with the Nikon didn't
look any better than those she had done with her old
Minolta XG. Looking at the prints I suggested they
have strong words with their lab (or just change labs)
All I could think of when handling that monster was,
"such a big heavy camera, such a small negative", of
course I didn't say this out loud,but I think they
were overall not very happy with the results from what
must have been a $2.7K purchase.   John Robison