[OM] Random thoughts from an idle mind

Subject: [OM] Random thoughts from an idle mind
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:54:19 -0500
"It seemed to me that an MF kit was a better deal then an xpan because you
can do everything an xpan can do
and more. Do others disagree?"
Generally that's true. I have a 500CM and several lenses as well, so I could
have done without the xpan, except...

I got the xpan primarily for travel. Last November, I took it to Italy. I
could never have used the 'blad under those circumstances. Although not
light, in today's world (remember, we live in a different world that when
the OM4 was introduced, and cameras are a lot heavier), it is lighter than a
lot. The lenses are remarkable, both in sharpness and size. It is the most
intuitive in operation of any camera made in the last ten years.

Yes, a M7 can do the same with the 35mm kit and the widest lens. I have no
experience with the M7, although I have often considered adding an M6 to the
camera cabinet, but those who do often consider the 35mm kit at best fiddly
and inconvenient. I assure you that carrying an M7 with a couple of lenses
and an aux viewfinder is more trouble than the xpan. However, if this is to
be your only camera, there are a lot of arguments against the xpan.

"so I'm not the only one with a mixed feeling for the G2... "
Many of you know how I feel about the G2. I sold my ill-considered purchase
to buy the xpan and have never looked back.

"Could you briefly elaborate on the Minolta meter(s) you have used and/or
researched? Thanks"
I own and use regularly an Autometer IIIF. The only problem is batteries: in
a case, the push button is often squeezed down so the meter is on
continuously, draining the PX28 faaaaaaaast! I take the battery out for
transit, easy to do, as there is a simple snap cover for access. I have had
no problems whatsoever, and find it to be highly accurate.

I have also used a Flashmeter IV, and although it is more versatile, it is
also bigger and heavier.

I have two pro friends with large, regional practices, that have the big
spot/incident Sekonics, and they both have expressed less than satisfaction.
I haven't gone into any depth about this, but suspect that the meters are to
complex for simple operation.

"Maybe they are better at customers service in the UK "
Could be. I had my experience with the previous importer. They are now
handled by Mamiya of America, not the best customer service reputation, but
certainly not Rollei of America, subject of frequent anguished comments on
photo.net.

Bill Pearce