Re: [OM] OM2n - meter problems....any clues?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2n - meter problems....any clues?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 02:18:47 +0200 (CEST)
John (and all),

I'm impressed by your always knowing exactly which questions to ask
;) Thanks.

I tried two different sets of fresh silver oxide batteries, both of which
works perfectly in a sister-OM2n.

Also, I tried to ignore the meter in the viewfinder, and fire the shutter
in auto-mode. If I use f1.8, I get a short shutter speed (audiel
judgement), while with f16, the shutter stays open significantly longer.

Next, testing if the nedle moves when I move the apeture ring. ASA dial at
1600, shutter at 1s, mode in "manual" lens up against a lightbulb. With
f16, the needle centers. Turning to f1.8, the needle....also centers....

Now, I guess that this indicates that the meter string may be off, as John
suggests? Or that the galvanometer is - well - in the same state as the
one in my aforementioned OM1. Any easy way of determining either? And any
clue if it is within feasible repair, or I should rather pass on the
camera?

Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--thomas

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, John Hermanson wrote:

> You didn't mention if it changes as the f stop is turned. Could be anything,
> meter string could have come off a pulley, cold solder joint on meter board,
> something like that. It is assumed that silver oxide batteries are in the
> camera.  Lithium and alkaline batteries can throw meter position off up to 3
> stops.
> _________________________________
> John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
> Camtech, Olympus Sales & Service since 1977
> New OM & Used, Digital, Pearlcorders, Binoculars
> 21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714
> 631-424-2121 For Free Olympus manuals,
> please call 1-800-221-3000

  Thomas Heide Clausen