Re: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?

Subject: Re: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:34:50 -0500

"Daniel J. Mitchell" wrote:

>  The weird thing I found was that it didn't seem to depend on how long I'd
> had the camera sitting for -- I had what sounded like three or four of these
> shots in a row, so I tried the self-timer fix in case it was in some sort of
> weird B mode equivalent.

Yes, I've seen that, too -- kinda strange, we never explained it.  Still, quite
often simply cleaning the magnet/armature would clear it up.  Another (though
unlikely) problem would be loose ground screws -- the circuit board is held onto
the back of the shutter plate with several screws that provide grounds to the
circuit.  If they're loose, strange things can happen.  Sadly, the only way to
get to them is to disassemble the camera -- though, if cleaning doesn't work,
write and I might be able to find a way to put in a jumper from the part of the
circuit you _can_ see to a ground -- funny, I wonder why I never through of that
before....?

>  I'll give this a go if it comes back, but I'm still inclined to wait and
> see if it happens again now I know how to load the film properly, just
> because I don't want to mess things up. (then again, I have an XA3 that
> could be used as a sacrificial tester for my skills here).

I would _never_ consider sacrificing an XA-3!  Not even for an XA!

As far a film loading, I forgot to mention that it's important that the film
leader be put _into_ but not _through_ the take-up spool.  That's the same for
almost every Olympus camera, btw.