RE: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?

Subject: RE: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:44:16 -0600
> Yes, I've seen that, too -- kinda strange, we never explained it.  Still,
quite
> often simply cleaning the magnet/armature would clear it up.

 Fair enough, I'll give it a look.

> I would _never_ consider sacrificing an XA-3!  Not even for an XA!

 Just curious -- why? It seems as if the XA3 compared to the XA gains DX
coding, but loses rangefinder functionality for three ranges, and exposure
flexibility. Am I missing something important here? I've got the XA manual
from Olympus's web site, but nothing for the XA3.

> As far a film loading, I forgot to mention that it's important that the
film
> leader be put _into_ but not _through_ the take-up spool.
> That's the same for almost every Olympus camera, btw.

 Yes, I think that's what I was doing wrong; it also seems like I have to
feed the film into the slot on the other side of the takeup spool, though
that's not a good description. Looking at the messed up negatives, it did
manage to wind a couple of frames on before getting stuck, but no more than
that, so whatever I did wrong only had effect after a little while.

 On the OMs I seem to be able to get away with more, though thanks for the
pointer; it's certainly something I should pay attention to.. (that, and
remembering to watch the rewind lever when I wind the film on).

 -- dan