Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:35:32 -0400
At 1:20 AM +0000 4/8/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 16:21:56 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Adventures in Macrophotography (asking for recommendations)
>
>I've been going to the local conservatory the past few
>weekends and have burned quite a lot of film there
>testing and trying out the 65-116 with my two macro
>lenses (50/2 and 90/2 Zuikos) So far the results have
>been fair. I haven't wanted to use my tripod as it's
>big, tall and heavy (Bogen 3221WN w 3047) My pics have
>definitely suffered. I've been getting only about 1:4
>shots coming out sharp while the rest show obvious
>signs of shake at high magification 1:1 or greater.
>
>[snip]
>Anyway I bought a 3221S Bogen tripod on the bay a few
>days ago and was wondering if anyone has that or a
>similar tripod they use for macro work and if it works
>a lot or only a little better and what type head I
>should get. Right now I'm either thinking of a cheap
>small ball head that will give me the lowest profile
>or the 410/3275 geared head if I can ever find one for
>a good price on the evil one.

I've had good luck with the Leica folding tabletop tripod, the solid-metal one
tha looks like a dogleg when folded (rotated into a single plane, actually).
One can get these used for US $20 or so at used photo equipment shows, and I've
yet to find a bad one.  A small Leica ballhead is also useful; sometimes they
come with the used tripod.

Joe Gwinn