[OM] New TOPE idea

Subject: [OM] New TOPE idea
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:42:25 EDT
Since the "death" date for Olympus OM equipment was January 18, and the
article's author (see below) states "Although the camera may be gone, the
memories live on", how about we assert that the camera is NOT gone, and it
can still take great photos by issuing some kind of TOPE assignment each
January 18, like-
you must use your oldest OM body,
or,
the assignment is only open to photos taken with the "old" OM-1,
or,
you can only use 'silver-nose' lenses,
or,
the photographer must have been alive in 1973, the year the OM-1 came onto
the market? (sorry all you young whippersnappers!)

Whattdy'all think?

George S.

bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

       <snip>

Firstly, the swan-song article about the OM system. AG would approve.
Even though the article is just 3 pages with little text, every lens they
show
has a reflective edge to the front ring <g>  There's also a bisected M1;
like;
almost bisected with a cleaver. I exaggerate - it must be difficult to bisect
piece of equipment and still keep it all looking tidy.

The Editor Emiko Ogami wrote:
" In this issue, our feature article reviews the history of the much-loved OM
series 35mm SLR that was retired from the active product list on January 18.
After the camera's retirement was announced, we heard from many users
around the world. Some reminisced about the pleasure their OM had brought
them and expressed sorrow at its passing: some even requested the OM
line's continuation. But the one thing everyone seemed to agree on was that
their OM had enabled them to preserve their fondest memories on film - and
it was those memories that they were most grateful for. Although the camera
may be gone, the memories live on.