[OM] The digital challenge

Subject: [OM] The digital challenge
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:22:01 +1200
Hi Zuiks,

A person in Thailand I am getting to know recently sent me a photo of
himself and his two kids.

I was amazed at the quality of what he sent, and mentally pictured me trying
to do the job with my OM gear.

I asked him what camera he used for it and he said his lab has just got a
digital camera for research purposes and he is using it as much as possible
to get to know it.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't use any software to modify the
image.  So what you see is what the camera took.

The shot can be seen at the link below. Be warned; it is a 275kb download
about.

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/images/TB-family.jpg

Ignoring for the moment that there is no modelling sidelight etc; it's all
front-
on lighting, the things that stand out to my mind are

1) fine detail (in Opera browser I can set the screen magnification to 2000r
300% and it still looks pretty good)
2) good colour
3) no extra tweaking required
4) very good depth of field.
5) Probably very quick.

When you consider the problems *everybody* seems to have with scanning -
I'm a lurker in the ScanWit group, and the pain that I see people there go
through to get a decent scan - to get the darned scanner to work even, is
quite unreasonable.

Here he gets a pretty good result with NONE of that BS.

Consider also how important electronic transmission and display of images
has already become and can only get more so. So trouble-free digitalisation
of images becomes very important.

Regarding the photo above, many of us would struggle mightily to get the
same detail, DOF and colour in a scan of this subject with a film camera.
Many / most would not get there, I suggest. Me included.

I've noticed too the DOF and good colour of many of the better advertising
shots on eBay, and once or twice I have asked the vendor what they used.
Invariably, digital.

I'm not sure where this train of thought is leading; it's only half developed.
guess my subject title says it all.

Brian