RE: [OM] 135/2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] 135/2.8
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:38:23 +1000
> Richard wrote:
>
> >>>So what do YOU use the 135 for?<<

Yesterday I finally picked up my OM1 from the OMtological
Surgeon. It's been buffed and buffered in all the right
places (well, I'm yet to check the meter against my
wonderbrick) and I'm so happy to get it back so I
can begin working on my first TOPE entries - very soon
10 and 1 whenever - and, well, it's my go-everywhere
so I've been missing it.

Anyways (yes, this gets back onto the subject), I've been
looking for a 135mm lens to go with it for quite a while
now, but not wanting to shell out at the moment for the
Zuiko 135 2.8, I've been looking at other, much cheaper
brands (stay with me, folks!). I've looked at Hanimex
and *really old and dirty* Tokinas and Makinon and
K-Mart's Supercheap Plasti-Fantasti Optolens (okay, I
made the last one up), but they've been either cruddy
or haven't worked (not shutting down the aperture
blades).

Well, I was going to give up, but decided to buy the
"lesser" Zuiko 135/3.5 at the place I put my camera in.
It seems absolutely spotless, everything seems to turn/
shutdown/rotate etc. completely smoothly.

It's also *tiny* (remembering I'm more use to Canon EF
lenses as well). That built in hood (also *not* plastic)
is just nifty, and even with this bigger (than my 50/1.4
and 35/2.8) lens it still fits into the smallest SLR bag I
could find (this pouchwon't take my EOS50E body, and
it's also only as long as it is wide, and tapered).

I'm disappointed I didn't get a 2.8, but the build quality
of this lens relative to the other third party lenses is
making me much less unhappy. I know it's not the greatest
of lenses in the Zuiko-swag, but I'm favouring Zuiko for
all future purposes (wonderbrick excepted).

'Course, now I need to take photos with it ;-)

If I like it and use it often, *then* I'll look (in my
wallet for starters) for an f2 maybe.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz