Re: [OM] OM-4T rejects Zuiko 100/2

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T rejects Zuiko 100/2
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 00:03:21 -0700
on 4/13/02 12:06 PM, Gary Edwards at garyetx@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I guess that I hadn't had occasion to use my relatively recently-acquired
> Zuiko 100 mm f/2 lens on the black OM-4T - until now.  That -4T does not
> like that lens.  Every time the shutter is released, the mirror comes up
> part way, the viewfinder goes dark, and . . . . nothing else happens.  Until
> I bump the DOF preview button, then the mirror goes up all the way and the
> shutter trips.  On occasion, the camera will function properly if the
> aperture is set to f/2.  It fails every time at f/2.8 or smaller.
>
> I tried the 100/2 on six other bodies (including an older, champagne -4T) -
> no problem, at f/2, f/8, or f/22.  I tried every other lens that I have on
> the black OM-4T - no problem.  That test series included a Zuiko 180/2.8, a
> Sigma 70-210/2.8, and a Tamron 400/4, all of which have presumably
> comparable diaphragm mass, etc.  The 100/2 does have the stiffest feeling
> aperture linkage of all of the lenses I have on hand (16).
>
> So, I don't know which unit needs fixing - camera aperture drive or lens
> diaphragm?  It looks like I'll have to send both off to John, unless someone
> has an idea of where the problem is.
>
> Gary Edwards
>
> people, places, flight at http://home.attbi.com/~garyetx/

Didn't somebody else have a problem with the 100/2.0 recently... that turned
out to be a slight binding on the aperture linkage. The problem IIRC was
resolved by removing the lens mount and fiddling within... FWIW I don't have
any interaction problems with my 100/2.0, so I don't think its a design
problem. Since the 4T works with everything else, that points to the lens...

Wow, two internet acronyms in one message...!
--

Jim Brokaw