[OM] wonderbricks

Subject: [OM] wonderbricks
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:35:41 -0500
"I don't think that is completely true unless I am the victim of magazine
hype.  "
Winsor,
The glib answer is yes, of course. The Pop Photo/Petersens/Shutterbug
magazines are representative of their mass market audience, and they live to
promote the newest latest bestest biggest thing.

The truth is, of course, there are some areas where wonderbricks are
wholeheartedly embraced, and photographers in every area that use them. But
to say that they are where most pros are moving hell-bent is simply wrong.
The point about using Rolleiflexes and Nikon SPs wasn't very well made. Most
pros, if asked, won't ask for new features. They don't bother to think about
such things. Their concerns would be more with reliability, and, face it,
price.

Photojournalists have taken to AF with a vengence, although I would question
weather or not the ratio of usuable to unusuable shots has improved (I'll
bet they loose as many as before, just in different ways). From what I 've
seen, wildlife photographers are mixed. Wedding and portrait people are slow
to convert, although perhaps for different reasons (many wedding shooters
are contract workers, with equipment supplied by studios. As long as the
Bronimiyablads work, they won't invest money in something new. They're a
business.) Fashion shooters don't seem to use it that much, but then, few
use 35mm.

In the Commercial and industrial world, there are tons of wonderbricks out
there, but just because a photographer owns an F5 or AE whatever means
he/she is using it in the auto mode. The sad fact is, there's not much else
out there. You work with what is readily available, with the lenses you
need, and decent rental opportunities. That doesn't mean that you are
willing to turn your livelihood over to some engineer in Asia, whose
motivations for the design are driven by something besides your needs. (that
situation is hardly exclusive to photography. I'll bet all of you have heard
gripes about something done at the behest of the Marketing Division).

Of course, we, too, will someday be reduced to using wonderbricks.

Bill Pearce