[OM] more wonderbricks

Subject: [OM] more wonderbricks
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:15:43 -0500
"Is this really true? It would seem that for each photographic generation
that there are those people who buy equipment based its "professional"
designation. "
This subject came up during the discussion of the OM book. there was a time
when this was true. It expiered about the time of the Nikon F2, which quite
a few consider to be the greatest professional SLR ever. There was a sea
change that came shortly before AF introduction, where cameras were
purported to be professional, when in fact, were aimed squarely at the
affluent amateur market. This was thanks to the marketing people, who
reacted to the need to expand markets.

It is true that, if asked, most pros won't ask for groundbreaking features.
It's something like professional musicians and the Selmer Mark VI tenor
saxophone. Give them somethng that works, and they're happy.

As for combat photography, I think the Viet Nam era photos speak for the
abilities of the photographers and their Leica's and Nikons.

"...these persons could be seen with their pristine Nikon Ftn's, black of
course' with attached 50mm f1.4s and nikon metal lens hood. The cameras were
always unmarked and looked like they hadn't had more than 2 rolls of film
ran through them.
Although we often snickered at them they preformed a valuable service, as
the next generation of pro cameras arrived we could purchase their nearly
new condition equipment at bargen prices as they cast it off in an attempt
to always have the latest and greatest. "
Exactly my point, you weren't buying used equipment from pros, but from
affluent amateurs. I remember one local dermatologist in particular that
went through cameras and traded them in, much to many of we less affluent
photographer's delight. At that point (the F was still king), we were OK.
the ones who bought Minoltas were not so lucky, as that camera had the image
of one for the affluent, but not the pro, so resale was not so good. Alas,
the lawyers buying Leicas mostly kept them.

Just think about it...if camera companies catered to professionals, and
Olympus catered to professionals, we might have an OM5 or 6 right now!

Bill Pearce