Re: Re: [OM] Konica Impressa 50 [was] Konica Impressa 25

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Konica Impressa 50 [was] Konica Impressa 25
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:07:34 -0500
At 23:18 4/14/02, Wayne Harridge wondered with incredulity:

> John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The only Agfa I use now is Scala 200X.  It's the only B/W
> transparency film
> made and it's not bad.

What do you use this for ? I can't really see the necessity for a B&W tranparency film. Do people still do "slide shows" ?

Yes.  I'm one of them.

They can also be printed if the lab used knows how to do it, although it's obviously not the same as printing from B/W negative. If properly conducted, with a good projector *lens* and white matte screen, large screen projection has a "WOW" factor. Too many people are accustomed to the relatively low resolution of television and their computer monitors. The ISO 25 to 100, and a couple 160 (tungsten) and 200 chromes can fill a wall with dramatically higher resolution images.

I not only have an Ektagraphic 2 (previous generation built like a tank) for 35mm projection, but a "dual format" that can handle 5x5 (35mm) or 7x7 (medium format) that's used for projecting 645 transparencies. The screen is 50 X 50 inches. Projecting slow medium format chromes has an additional "**WOW**" factor. Showing them just *before* the 35mm slides is *not* recommended (3mm slide frames are also recommended to prevent projector jamming).

The "art" of giving a slide show is most important to keep from boring people to sleep. I use several basic rules: (a) Each slide must have some relevance to the great majority of viewers: whether they're in it, some they know well is in it, is about an event they attended, is of a locale they're familiar with, is about something in which they have a strong interest, etc. (b) Slides are ruthlessly edited before going into a tray (see "d" about storage): no repetition using multiple slides of essentially the same thing is allowed. Slides are stored in archival pages in binders, not in trays. Trays are used only for presentation. The pages go onto a light table for the "first cut" and it's edited downward at least once more (see "e"). The *only* exception is when it's for a few people to ask for an opinion about which one they like better, and that is quite rare. (c) No more than about 30-45 minutes for a show. No more than one slide tray (or the equivalent of a full one if it's dual format). Dwell time is shortened if the slide count goes up beyond about 50-60 slides. (d) Presentation sequence is set up in a logical order to tell a story, or a series of shorter stories, even if they're not chronological, or in sequence within a single roll. Since both of my projectors go "black screen" with a blank slot, they're used as natural divisions within a single show. The workaround, if a projector doesn't do this, is using unexposed 37th frames that come back. (e) A show has a "dress rehearsal" before anyone else sees it. This has prevented upside down, sideways and backwards slides more times than I care to remember.

The portfolio used to "land" the gallery exhibit this Fall was all done with transparency in a slide tray; about 40 total.

-- John