RE: [OM] more wonderbricks

Subject: RE: [OM] more wonderbricks
From: wavegirl <wavegirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:57:36 +0100
> Just think about it...if camera companies catered to professionals, and
> Olympus catered to professionals, we might have an OM5 or 6 right now!

I think the preponderance of digital cameras proves that point again. A
large chunk of the digital market is aimed at the "Nathan Barley"*** market
as I like to call it -- affluent urban professionals with a love of gadgets
and undeserved disposable wealth. Considering the numbers in which CCDs must
be produced now, I don't see a real justification for the price other than
new-technology profiteering that consumer electronics companies are so fond
of. Other than the CCDs the cameras are generally just bog-standard compacts
but several times the price. Olympus, well they didn't drop the IS series,
just the big professional models. That said, could the fact the OM-4Ti is
now more than twice the price I paid for my OM-4T when it came out any
indicator of what brought the demise of the OM? Could they have priced
themselves out of the market?

I've never owned a N*k*n but I suppose one thing you can credit them for is
having a body for almost every imaginable camera buyer. I can't see them
dropping professional support anytime soon either.

***For more on the exploits of Nathan Barely go to HTTP://www.tvgohome.com
and read the archives. :-)