Re: [OM] Negative & Slide film... Price versus Quality

Subject: Re: [OM] Negative & Slide film... Price versus Quality
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:23:49 -0700

Not only that, Barry, but there seems to be confusion on the part of users as to how best to scan negatives (perhaps slides have similar issues), and not just color film but B&W as well. From my reading this as often as not revolves around the film profiles provided by the scanner software these users employ.

My experience (with the Polaroid SS4000) teaches me that it's best to eschew the profiles provided by the Polaroid Insight software and instead generate a RAW TIFF image, then work with that in some other software (in my case Paint Shop Pro and/or Photoshop). Now maybe it's just that the scanner I use is especially adept at getting good RAW images out of negatives (I haven't scanned any transparencies yet) whereas other scanners are less able to carry out this function, I don't know. I do know that once I have a RAW TIFF to work with then the battle is half won, and concluding matters (given a workable exposure to begin with--there's no question that a bad exposure can fatally compromise the final image) is a simple enough process.

I've offered this advice a number of times and it seems to be the case that users either don't know what a RAW image is (and are apparently thus intimidated), or don't care to go this route due to some perceived increase on their part in increased complexity of the operation. Either way, confusion is at work and my impression is that the majority of scanner users who have these "issues" are not working with RAW scans but rather with the images they get from those software film profiles. As these latter images are (in my experience) more often than not anything but optimal, it stands to reason that these users are already more or less behind the eight ball--which is why I turned to the RAW method to begin with.

There is also the issue of one's ability to effectively work with an image in software after the scan, regardless of the quality of that scan.

Anyway, I shoot negative emulsions for two good reasons: they possess roughly double (or more) the dynamic range of slide films, and they also have much greater latitude. Now a lot of my shoots are at night where inherently more demanding light conditions prevail, and the rest of the time I'm usually in the street where I don't have time to worry about exact exposure. It only makes sense for someone with those shooting needs to use the most flexible film (i.e. negatives). In any event, when my final images turn out bad I have no doubt it's for the reason I either blew the shot somehow on site and/or the subject did not lend itself to my photographic intention (again, due to the difficult light conditions) to begin with. Hell, even some of my Tri-X images turn out looking like crap (the matter of composition aside), and if you can't get a good image with Tri-X then for _sure_ it's you and not the film because that's the most flexible and hearty emulsion I ever heard of. Yet I've read any number of places of scanner users complaining about the ability to scan good Tri-X pictures. I'm sorry, but that simply makes no sense.

Bottom line: if you have no reason to project your images (see John Lind's account yesterday of a professional need to do so), and if you don't work for an art editor at some publication who demands transparencies over negatives, then I can see no inherent advantage to shoot slides over negatives while I can easily tick off (have already done so above) reasons why negative film might well be preferred . . as a general rule. In other words, while it's true that one slide film or another might possess a specific characteristic which is desired over what might otherwise be obtained using negative film, it is not true that slide films are "better" than negative films in any inherent sense for the reason that there are many superior negative emulsions out there which blow away slide films just the same. Transparencies are _different_ from print emulsions, but then that's just stating the obvious and really something else. As I know from my own experience that negative films _can_ be scanned successfully, and with wonderful results, then the issue becomes one not easily understood here.

One avenue that I haven't pursued is making conventional enlargements from print film as opposed to those derived from transparencies, but from what I've read over the years the advantage there clearly lies with negative films.

Of course I have a built-in bias when it comes negative emulsions as these were what I was trained to shoot back when I was a journalist. I've shot precious little slide film and my knowledge in this area is (to say the least) limited. But then I'm not here to say print is better than chrome, just that print's fine in its own right. If there's a problem with the latter, better to look to the user or scanner for the reason.

Tris

 The difference isn't quite as black and white as you make it out to
be (pardon the pun). There are a number of differences between color
negative and color transparency films. Latitude, saturation, grain,
etc. all come into play. There are many situations where print film
has clear advantages - difficult and variable light, for example.
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co http://www.beancotton.com
Peach Orchard, MO