Re: [OM] Flash Connection Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Connection Help
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:51:09 -0700
How do you have the T32 set?

With the calculator panel turned to the "full automatic control by OM-2" side, it is doing TTL-OTF. The film pressure plate is darker/less reflective than film, so the exposure system will think it needs more light than with film in the camera.

With the panel turned with calculator side out and set on "NORMAL AUTO", the flash reads reflected light through a CDS cell in the 'O' of the Olympus logo on the front of the flash. It then makes no difference whether there is film in the camera.

In either case, the flashing of the 'ready' light on the flash and in the viewfinder indicates that the flash ("NORMAL AUTO") or flash plus ambient light ("full automatic control by OM-2") provided enough light for proper exposure. If there isn't enough light, the ready light doesn't flash. It sounds like your flash system is working normally. I suspect that the combination of film speed/aperture and the lack of film in the camera is such that it finds enough light when pointed at near/bright scenes, so the ready light flashes, and doesn't find enough light with far/dark subjects, so the ready light doesn't flash.

Fooling around inside in a normal room with a medium film speed, film in the camera and a medium aperture, you should get the ready light flashing on every shot and very short recycle times (virtually instantaeous with batteries in the BG2). With no film and/or asa 25 and f22, the ready light may or may not flash and recycle times should be a few seconds. Put a roll of that useless Seattle Film Works film (or equivalent) that's been in the back of the fridge for years in and try it out, that's what junk film is for. You can vary scene, film speed setting and aperture and see the difference in the recycle times to confirm that's it's working.

Moose

bsandyman@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a series of tests without film, I have noticed that sometimes the Flash Ready light in the OM2n display blinks and sometimes does not. It seems to change when I change angles of the whole rig. (For instance point at the floor, and then at the ceiling.) But doe not behave in any way consistant no matter what I try.

Is this because I do not have film in the camera, or is this because of a loose connection. Should I look elsewhere?