[OM] Olympus Japan service/parts help

Subject: [OM] Olympus Japan service/parts help
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:40:38 -0500
I needed a motor drive socket cover - and wrote to several repair and retail dealers, and then Olympus-usa.com

From the former I got the expected "nope" "no idea" etc.

From the latter; [to the effect] "Thank you for your interest in Olympus
products! We are sorry, we can not repair [REPAIR???] your item because it is too old ... "

Well; no one told me anything I didn't already know - except perhaps Oly-USA, who enlightened me with the news that supplying a spare part is a "repair". I always thought that large manufacturers of such things sold off their inventories of such parts to major dealers or repair facilities when they were obsolete - and informed people so when they inquired after the fact.

Oh well - so I did what I knew I should have done to start with - I wrote to Olympus-Japan. Their Oly-Jp PR dept e-mailed me back "Chrome or black?" ...I had been hopeful enough to include my shipping address in the e-mail, and sure enough they forwarded it to a parts division, and now, hopefully it is on it's way down some great conveyor belt in the Oly-Japan complex on the other side of the earth - on it's way to me. Free of charge.

Now I just hope the postal service doesn't lose the thing once it lands this end..... I don't know if I could face writing them again and saying "... it didn't get here". They were so quick replying and helpful.