Re: [OM] Be prepared

Subject: Re: [OM] Be prepared
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:26:14 EDT
Exactly what I wanted to warn the poster about-
I don't think a hole cut into the floor of any vehicle is a good idea for
several reasons-
Firstly, the catalytic converter itself heats to several hundred degrees and
they can be seen glowing red at times,
Secondly, the exhaust pipes and muffler also get quite hot. These systems
would probably be a heat source in and of themselves as much as the hot
weather you want to protect your gear from.
Thirdly- any small hole in that exhaust system could be deadly for you and
your occupants, the fumes would now have a new way to enter the vehicle, and
Fourth- if you live in a region where salt is spread on the roads in winter,
your new hole would give that salt an area to work on to further undermine
your vehicle's bottom. Please consider all these possible new problems before
you cut anything open.

George S.