Re: [OM] Be prepared

Subject: Re: [OM] Be prepared
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:45:05 -0700
Exactly what I wanted to warn the poster about-
I don't think a hole cut into the floor of any vehicle is a good idea for several reasons- Firstly, the catalytic converter itself heats to several hundred degrees and they can be seen glowing red at times, Secondly, the exhaust pipes and muffler also get quite hot. These systems would probably be a heat source in and of themselves as much as the hot weather you want to protect your gear from. Thirdly- any small hole in that exhaust system could be deadly for you and your occupants, the fumes would now have a new way to enter the vehicle, and Fourth- if you live in a region where salt is spread on the roads in winter, your new hole would give that salt an area to work on to further undermine your vehicle's bottom. Please consider all these possible new problems before you cut anything open.

George S.

Mazda did this exact thing on their top of the line luxury model. When parked in the sun, solar cells imbedded in the moonroof glass operated a ventilation fan in the floor of the trunk when the interior temperature wen above a certain level. It was reputed to keep it 20 degrees cooler inside.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?