[OM] Event Photography Advise -Please! [Reprise]

Subject: [OM] Event Photography Advise -Please! [Reprise]
From: nrky@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:15:10 -0500
C'mon Y'all,

I'm hurt... nobody's even said boo to my last post, and it was total OM
content.

As an addendum, I'll probably be able to rent some strobes and umbrellas,
and a strobe meter...
and forgot to mention the 75-150/f4 that will be used for the PJ stuff.

To recap:

I've been asked to be the official photographer for the 2002 Midwest=20
Regional Kuk Sool Won tournament.  An all day deal of shooting the=20
winners on a podium (280 events), Then shifting to PJ mode and=20
shooting the Master's demonstrations that night along with shooting
the pix of the new black-belts receiving their "degree" and the raised
black-belts receiving theirs.

Way worse than a wedding I'll wager...work-wise, but not as distressing
(hopefully) I'm out of familiar waters big-time with this...never done
pro-type work at all.

Problem is, I shoot BW for the most part, and slides if I want color.
For family events/color negative I just take whatever's cheapest at=20
WallyWorld...I'm thinking of getting Porta160NC to use at this thing
with some 4800=BA floods (~250W) for the podium stuff (I can set that
part up and it'll be locked in - there's a place set aside for that)
I'll be shooting verticals of 4 people at a time Olympics-style and have
~20 feet by 30 feet to work with.  As I'm the owner of only "crappy"
Zuik's
(list to follow) I'd be sure happy for some of you pro's and semi-pro's
to jump all over this...What lens would you use for the "staged,
tripoded"
shots? Is the film choice a good one for this task? (8X10 is the target
print size)

Now for the PJ stuff...I'll need to get some distance for the Master's
demo
part as they can take up a whole gymnasium (the event is at the gym at
UMSL - St. Louis) and move pretty fast, but I've competed here before and
- -kinda- know where the action will peak so can pre-focus/frame
(hopefully)
These shots probably won't get blown to 8X10's, so can tolerate a little
less
sharpness....Porta400NC? Using T32 on BG2?=20

Now for the second part of the PJ stuff - the graduates... they'll all
come to=20
a central point to receive the diploma, look back and smile, and once all
of them=20
have been graduated, BIG group shot...first part is fairly easy, but the
group shot
of 30 to 50 people might be too much for the equipment I have
flash-wise...

Ok, here's what I have to work with:

OM-4 (main body)
OM-10 (back-up only because I'm gonna use flash)
OM-1* (my baby, will bring just to do candids if I have the chance)

*Now it may be the body on the tripod as the strobes will be metered and
I'll
have to use a manual body anyway -whoohooo!

24/2.8
35/2.8
50/1.4
50/1.8
50/3.5
90/2.8 Macro (Vivitar)
100/2.8
135/3.5

BG2
T-20 (and softbox)
T-32 (and softbox)

Winder1 (as a handle only)
Winder2 (as a winder <g>)

Enthusiasm but no experience in this sort of thing...

Bill  >; P
(Owner of only "crappy" Zuiks, no stellars and can still take pix)
"Life unfolds on a great sheet called Time (film)*,
and once finished (developed)* is gone(here)* forever..."
*provided ya have a good archival system in place.