Re: [OM] Which film processing - was HELP

Subject: Re: [OM] Which film processing - was HELP
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:58:46 -0700
Jim, you reminded me of a queation I've been meaning to ask, as there are a few listees who know a lot more about the photo processing business than I do.

I can take my C-41 film to a nearby drugstore and have it sent to Kodak or Fuji or I can take it farther away to a real Photography shop and have them send it to Kodak or Fuji. In the case of Kodak ( I don't remember for Fuji) the envelope looks different, more black and less gold, and says things about "Royal Gold Dealer" and "Kodak Royal Paper" My question is, what's the difference?

Most important, is there any difference in the way the film/negatives are processed and handled. Are my chances of geetting properly developed negs without scratches better at one or the other? Does the film all go to the same lab?

Second, is there a difference in the printing/paper?

I know a good deal of the Photo shop's profit probably comes from processing and I try to support them, but there are times when convenience would make me opt for the drugstore. I'd like to be more knowledgeable about any quality differences.

Thanks,
   Moose

Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

When I worked in the C-41 processing department at the big Qualex lab in
Cincinnati, we had many, many nights when zero rolls were damaged out of
15,000 rolls.  That's safe.  Unless you don't need it in an hour, I suggest,
no, I implore you, to use a pro lab or to have it sent out to a big lab.