Re: [OM] New Cosina 40/2 for OM!

Subject: Re: [OM] New Cosina 40/2 for OM!
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:20:58 -0400
Interesting, but at that weight I might as well carry a 50/1.8.

I'll keep my 40/2....

Tom

Well, Cosina has introduced a very flat, OM-Mount lens today.  It's the 40/2
Aspherical Ultron.  Details in Japanese at http://www.cosina.co.jp/40sl/.
English translation at http://babelfish.altavista.com/.

I can see why they introduced the 40/2 lens for the SLR market.  It's
similar to the 40/2 OM Zuiko, GN-Nikkor, 43mm SMC Pentax, etc.  that are
"pancake" lenses and are all the rage now.  What strikes me as unusual are
the two hoods.  They both apparantly bayonet onto the lens.  But one has
hood leaves on the INSIDE.  Am I seeing that right?  I guess it's effective
for shading the front element, as well as not vignetting.  It also keeps the
overall lens depth down.  But it sure does look strange.

52mm filters (Zuiko: 49mm)
29mm deep  (Zuiko: 25mm)
255g (Zuiko: 140g!)

So it's not anywhere near as compact as the Zuiko, but with it's hood, it'd
shorter than the Zuiko + OM Hood.  It also doesn't look as nice as an the
40/2 Zuiko, IMVHO.

List price of ¥45,000, probably selling for $325 in the US.

Skip