Re: [OM] Photoshop?

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:35:13 -0700
I was a little bitter because I ordered the wrong negative scanner, I
ordered the one without the digital ICE, which I wanted...

Well, reading a blurp of an article the other day (Don't remember the
magazine) it said that the new Photoshop, due out end of Sept of this year,
will have something similar to ICE, which can do "scratch repair" on your
images.

Anybody confirm or deny?  I was hoping someone on this list is part of the
Photoshop Professionals group, and can tell me they got sneak preview
emails/literature etc.. that would confirm this..  If so, then I won't feel
as bad about my scanner anymore..

Albert

Digital ICE requires that an infrared channel be built into the scanner hardware in order to work. It cannot just be added to a scanner not designed around it. It depends on the IR channel to detect a defect and then overwrites that area in the other channels like a very precise clone device. (Some people complain that using it softens the image and that it is very slow.) On the other hand the very contrasty lighting system that enables it to work well, exaggerates defects in the film's surface when it is not used.

Photoshop and VueScan have both had settings to remove surface defects for a long time. The side effect of their use is to soften the whole image. I don't know whether Photoshop 7 has something significantly different, but I doubt it.

A new scanner with ICE, if you want it, is probably considerable cheaper than Photoshop 7 will be and probably about the same cost as an upgrade.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?