RE: [OM] STOP THE PRESS - HOLD THE PHONES

Subject: RE: [OM] STOP THE PRESS - HOLD THE PHONES
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:36:10 -0600
> "People will be able to see the planets with the naked eye lining up
> about 45 minutes after sunset," Robert Warren at the Royal
> Observatory in Greenwich, London told Reuters Friday.
>
> He said stargazers should watch the planets rising from the western
> horizon where the five should be grouped within a span of 10
> degrees of sky, or about the width of a fist held at arm's length.

 For non-astronomers like myself, is this going to look like anything? I can
normally tell which dot is Venus because it's so bright, and I think I saw
Mars once, or at least something that looked vaguely more red than the rest;
and I can tell satellites apart because they move so fast -- but, otherwise,
they're all dots to me, so is there going to be any way to tell _which_ five
dots are the planets?

 -- dan