Re: [OM] New Cosina 40/2 for OM!

Subject: Re: [OM] New Cosina 40/2 for OM!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:10:39 -0700
 > From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
 It looks like it's made on the same principle as the hood on the new Nikon
 45/2.8 that they introduced along with the FM3A. That one is pictured on the
 cover and inside the March issue of Pop Photo.

In both cases, this type of hood suggests that the lens is far larger in
diameter than necessary optically for that widest aperture. The 52mm
filter size also suggests a direct Nikon competition. The same optics
should have fit a 49mm filter size (or even smaller) with a conventional
hood and then the weight would have been a bit closer to the Zuiko as
well.

My bet is that the performance is quite good.

Eric Pederson

Looking at the lenses on the site is interesting. I was wondering how they could say that the same lens is available for the Voigtländer rangefinder and in mounts for various SLRs. My first question was whether the lens for SLRs had automatic aperture which I was not really able to find. Second question that occurred to me is that lenses for SLRs and rangefinders are usually designed differently, especially in shorter focal lengths. Lens elements can recess into a rangefinder body, but can't recess into an SLR because of the mirror. Advantages in sharpness, contrast and correction are usually cited by rangefinder makers because their lenses do not have be made into a retrofocus design which requires extra elements and lens maker gymnastics to achieve. Looking at the picture of the 35 mm lens for the rangefinder it seems amazingly long - nothing at all like the comparatively flat Leica 35mm. I wonder whether Cosina when planning their lens line decided to design them all as retrofocus regardless of their application so that a longer lens barrel could just be substituted on the rangefinder. Have they really designed SLR lenses, ignoring the advantages of non-retrofocus design, and just adapted them to a rangefinder rather than the other way around?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?