Re: [OM] Performance of Zuiko 40/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Performance of Zuiko 40/2
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:09:51 -0700

But C/C+ at /2? That's the point of getting a /2, isn't it? Lets see..., at /2
21/2 .... B+/C
24/2 .... C+ / C w/ mirror up, prefire...
28/2 .... B / B
35/2 .... B, and C- at corner
40/2 .... C / C
50/2 .... C / C <-- wow! That low?
85/2 .... C+ / C+ --- B+/B- w/ mirror up, prefire
90/2 .... B+ / A <-- whee, no wonder it's so good :-)
100/2 ... C+/ C+
180/2 ... A/ A- <-- WOW!
250/2 ... A / B+ <-- wow!

I don't think the F2 is the point. It is the compactness of the design that intrigues people. Even though a couple of reviews when it came out were not that enthusiastic I think they were done by people who did not care how small it was and at the time each new Oly lens was expected to be really exceptional which it was not compared even to Oly's own 35mm lens. It is really a very nice special purpose lens designed make a small package combined with the camera that might even conceivably slip into a very roomy overcoat pocket.

From a quick look at Gary's list it appears that your 50/2 results were not the optimum test with prefire which was B-/B-; 35/2 was A-/C;

 and the champion was the 50/1.4 set at F2 for A-/B.

Another thing to think about is that shooting with modern films at f2 is rare and if it is that dark optimum quality for any lens is going to be at a smaller f stop from the top of a tripod.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?