[OM] Long Beach CART Race

Subject: [OM] Long Beach CART Race
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:51:11 -0700

From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
In a message dated 4/19/2002 Mike Veglia writes:

<snip>

I have found that by treating the E-10 like a
semi-manual camera that the only issue of "speed" all boils down to my
ability to handle the camera and make the most of the tool at hand. For
example: http://motorsportvisions.com/lbgp02d/pages/P4141381.htm With
how close I was to Jimmy Vasser's car and how fast he was going when
this was taken it was not "camera speed" that captures this moment in
time. (I tend not to like clipping parts of the cars, not my style, but
editors and photo buyers like the style so I'm playing with it a bit.)

Cool shot!...look at what I emailed to you and see what you think...just a mild tweak in Photoshop.I know what you mean about clipping parts of cars.....it just doesn't seem right to me
either, but I see it all the time in magazines, etc.

Fontana is not 'till next weekend. This weekend it is more little league
shooting, a lot of scanning, and hopefully getting out to do some
sailing Sunday. Have fun at Sears Point!!! I gather they must have the
new strip in? I'm told I won't recognize the place when I get back there
for ALMS next month (which, BTW, you should try and get to
Stephen--sportscars are very photogenic).

I will, and with respect to ALMS, I'll be there. Maybe my friend Philippe at Drive will be able to get me photo access for that one, as well. BTW, I will be riding the motorcycle at Sears Point a week from Tuesday for a track school. Should be interesting with the new track layout.

<Snip>

The cosmic connection in all this was my first Long Beach visit was with that
camera when it was brand new and that Long Beach race was my favorite
CART driver's first career win on my birthday. Michael Andretti won
again on my birthday this last Sunday 16 years later for his 42nd win
and there I was shooting with the same camera. Makes one pause and
reflect a moment...the press conference after the race was erie.

I'll bet...that's quite a coincidence!

 I also
remembered that I really am still fond of the OM-2S despite using the
- -4t more often these days. Take that clean OM-1 of yours just in case of
course ;-) I'm looking forwards to your results. Have fun and stay safe
Stephen!

Will do and thanks for the encouragement. I've never shot drag racers before, so it will be a learning experience in figuring out what to do. As for the OM-1, well, of course, it will be along.....but not the one you saw me shooting with in Feb. at Laguna. I just got my #1 (as in the first one purchased) OM-1N body back from John H. after a CLA today, and all I can say is "Wow!". Also has a 2-4 screen installed. #2 body will go out soon now for it's CLA.

-Stephen Scharf

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!