Re: [OM] Should I be considering a new zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] Should I be considering a new zoom?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:36:02 -0700
The Sigma is probably no better or worse than the zoom you have.

I think the great values out there are the Tamron SP 35-210/3.5-4.2 and Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5. The Tokina is a bit smaller and lighter and theTamron is more easily found. The SP and AT-X are the top lines for these manufacturers, use ED glass and better construction techniques and are a definite cut above the vast sea of consumer price/moderate quality 35-70,80,105,135 and 70,80-200,210 zooms out there. Better yet, although premium priced when they were new, they are now available at very reasonable prices. There are a couple of the Tamrons on eBay now, but they are over priced (assuming the reserve is 80-900f the BIN). You should be able to find a good one for under $100. Remember the Tamron needs the Adaptall 2 mount for Olympus (and needs a particular version for the OM-4), which may come with it or need to be bought separately. Both lenses also do 'macro' to 1:4.

These are about as close to quality 'do-everything' lenses as can be found for reasonable prices and cover a much broader range of focal lengths. I took my Tokina and a couple of WAs on a 2 week trip to Maine last year and was very pleased with using it and with the results. If your taste runs to longer lenses, you might also consider the Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4, bigger and heavier, but a lot more reach and amazing macro to 1:1.55. Also a bit more money at around $130, but a great lens and terrific value.

Moose

Andrea wrote:

Saw this lens on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1346535905 and I was
wondering if this would be a better lens than my Cosina made Zuiko 70-210/4.5 to
5.6 ?  I know Sigma makes some good optics, and this lens seems to be multi-coated.
 What do folks think?  Or should I save my pennies for a REAL Zuiko zoom, perhaps a
35-105 and
then a 200/4?