Re: [OM] Advice sought - photos for publication

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice sought - photos for publication
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:05:02 +1200
John Hudson asked
> He is asking to use some of my photos in his book and I am wondering
> what would be a fair reward for me. Does one ask for a sum of money, and
> if so what might be reasonable, or might an autographed first edition
> copy of the book be more reasonable.

I think you need first to decide what you want most.

If having your shots published with credit given, and maybe a copy of the
book is OK; then it's OK.

But if you want due financial reward as well as credit, that's normal
procedure, and probably somebody else on this list can help there with
prices.. Seeing that it's a book, you might have to bargain if there's a chance
the author gets scared off.

There are standard industry procedures for charging for different kinds of use.

Brian