Re: [OM] INDY meeting of the minds (was DFW meeting of the minds)

Subject: Re: [OM] INDY meeting of the minds (was DFW meeting of the minds)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:41:55 -0500
Mike,
Glad you made it home safely. I enjoyed dinner and tromping around downtown Indy.

Mike found a very unique and colorful one-of-a-kind grill for dinner. Much different from the typical "franchise" restaurant. Home-cooked food in a down-to-earth atmosphere. The lady in the hat (the owner ??) was something to behold. I remain amazed about the drive-in theater we passed after dinner too; still in operation showing movies!

Mike had his backpack with OM's and a tripod. I had my smaller shoulder bag with OM's, another with the M645 and a tripod. Decided to give the M645 and the Sekor 50/4 shift lens a workout while Mike borrowed the 35/2.8 Zuiko Shift. It was a real pleasure spending an evening with another Zuiko- ummmm -hobbiest and my privelege to share the shift lens with another serious shooter.
:-)

About the "construction zone(s)" . . .
This took me by surprise, especially the magnitude of the fencing and how it was erected. Found out what it was last night while watching the news. Saturday there was a massive cancer charity fund-raising run/walk with tens of thousands of participants. The course spanned both areas we were in. Although a portion of the fencing surrounded the construction at the museum itself, most of it was set up to block off the course from traffic and channel the sea of humanity. With the number of people and magnitude of the event, there's little doubt they started erecting it a number of days beforehand. All the fencing down the bridge, around the pumphouse, blocking the fountain steps and down the street to the capitol building made sense when news footage was shown. A week earlier or a week later and most of it, except directly around the new state museum, would not have been there. Still mystified why much of the lighting that illuminates the large downtown monuments and other government structures was turned off. :-(

Mike is a very interesting guy! I've got a few places in mind for your on-going tavern/grill project if you get back up around here. ;-) The Pumpkin Vine Room, Bert and John's, and a couple others come to mind. Much more interesting than the giant sycamore tree stump and enormous stuffed bull they have in the park.

Thanks for a very enjoyable evening even if we burned more shoe leather than film. After becoming accustomed to doing all the "serious" shoots solo, it was great to work with someone else who also hauls around a tripod slung over their shoulder.

-- John