Re: [OM] even more about the F280

Subject: Re: [OM] even more about the F280
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:01:32 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm certain the F280 is a thyristor flash; it doesn't dump the excess
> capacitor
> charge in auto operation. So, for a given film speed and aperture, the closer
> you are to the subject, the faster the flash should recharge in auto mode.
> Manual and Super FP would always have the same recharge time, the maximum.

No, I just tested my F280, full dump in auto mode recycle time 7.5 seconds.
Mounted on OM4Ti set at Super FP, point the camera to
light bulb let the shutter speed go to around 1/500s, recycle time 4 seconds.

> "You are partially right, I just made it too simply, I know the camera adjusts
> shutter speed according to flash reflection from the film/curtain. But the
> flash is under controlled, the flash duration is from 1/25 to 1/50 on the
> OM4Ti
> and 1/30 to 1/70 on the OM707. It depends on the shutter speed reading from
> the
> sensor/2nd mirror reflection (not OTF)."
>
> Where did you find this? I've never seen it in any Olympus documentation. If
> this is true...

It is mentioned in the Olympus OM System brochure, see below link for a scan of
the F280 data:

http://www.glink.net.hk/~photogrp/F280.JPG

The F280 is intelligent in Super FP mode, the flash duration varies, you can
even get higher GN with OM707.

C.H.Ling