Re: [OM] even more about the F280

Subject: Re: [OM] even more about the F280
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:55:01 -0700

No, I just tested my F280, full dump in auto mode recycle time 7.5 seconds. Mounted on OM4Ti set at Super FP, point the camera to
light bulb let the shutter speed go to around 1/500s, recycle time 4 seconds.

"You are partially right, I just made it too simply, I know the camera adjusts
 shutter speed according to flash reflection from the film/curtain. But the
flash is under controlled, the flash duration is from 1/25 to 1/50 on the OM4Ti and 1/30 to 1/70 on the OM707. It depends on the shutter speed reading from the
 sensor/2nd mirror reflection (not OTF)."

 Where did you find this? I've never seen it in any Olympus documentation. If
 this is true...

It is mentioned in the Olympus OM System brochure, see below link for a scan of the F280 data:

http://www.glink.net.hk/~photogrp/F280.JPG

The F280 is intelligent in Super FP mode, the flash duration varies, you can even get higher GN with OM707.

C.H.Ling

Are you jumping to a conclusion? The engineers who designed the F280 could just as easily have decided to just cut off flash duration at higher shutter speeds to save charge. Variation in flash duration does not necessarily mean that there is a smart flash system.

On the other hand, maybe I am wrong. It would seem logical to me that since the F280 acts like a constant light source added to the picture that its light would be added into the automatic shutter calculation. That would certainly increase the number of successful F280 exposures. Otherwise they would somehow have to use the extra contact on the flash to cause the automatic setting of the shutter to ignore light from the flash and how would they do that? Easier just to let the camera operate normally integrating all the light in the scene into the final shutter calculation.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?