Re: [OM] FS: the whole kit - I am disconsolate ...

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: the whole kit - I am disconsolate ...
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:33:16 -0500 (CDT)
>>Working my butt off, and not having web
>>access for 3 months has meant that I have
>>only just discovered, just  now, the death of
>>the OM line. I am distraught, having been
>>an OM user exclusively for 10 years.

As someone who earns only a tiny portion of his income from
photography, I'm of the perspective that I have a substantial
investment in Zuiko, and I'm not ready to throw that out. Besides,
there is still a more than adequate supply of used bodies and lenses
that still have decades of use in them. For only slightly more effort
than going to b&h to buy a new Nikon or Canon lens, I can find a
suitable zuiko replacement. Not that I've ever had to - I've been
shooting Olympuses and Zuikos since 1979, and have never had a lens
or body need anything more than a CLA. I even still have my original
OM-10 and 50/1.8, and use them as backups for my 4Ts.

That said, I recognize the problem of a growing rarity in parts,
lenses, and repair shops.

But consider this - with the growing popularity of digital, you're
likely going to have to invest in a pro-quality digital in the next
few years. Considering that your Olympii have years, if not decades
of useful life left, why not direct your energies to finding a
suitable digital, and let your Oly gear serve as backup to it?

-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co
http://www.beancotton.com