[OM] more on multi-spot

Subject: [OM] more on multi-spot
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:47:51 -0700
"Why OM have +/- 2 stops (and not +/- 4 stops, for example)?"

Because you rarely need exposure compensation greater than +/- 2 stops. And
given the OM's design (you're not biasing the exposure but changing the film
speed) +/- 4 stops would be mechanically difficult.

"Why the highlight button is going -2 2/3 stops?"

It doesn't. I goes + 2 2/3 stops. It's roughly the difference between 18% and
100% reflectance.

"The truth is that OM manuals give the right way to shoot but they don't
explain the reason "why they do that?"."

I don't agree. There is nothing objectively "correct" about Olympus's
recommended multi-spot technique. As I previously explained, blindly following
this method does not guarantee either "correct" or pleasing exposure.

The Japanese bring an "aesthetic" sense to things that Westerners often find
rather odd. The true purpose of multi-spot is _not_ to produce a more-accurate
exposure, but to allow the photographer to tweak the exposure in whatever
direction pleases him -- in a fashion that appears to be scientifically
objective, rather than arbitrarily subjective.