Re: [OM] more on multi-spot

Subject: Re: [OM] more on multi-spot
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:56:05 -0400
On Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 3:31, Babis E. Mavridis
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] more on multi-spot" saying:

> > It doesn't. I goes + 2 2/3 stops. It's roughly the difference between 18%
> and
> > 100% reflectance.
> yes this is the hole think, but what this is exacly means ?

So if you point the spot at a white place, it will render it as white on
the film.

> can you give me a very simple rule to follow and get the corect explose ?

Slides: Spot meter shadow or highlights with detail, whatever's more
important to you, and use the shadow or hilite button. Slides can cover
about a 5 stop range.

Netatives: Spot meter both the shadows and the highlights. Negatives can
cove an 8 stop range.

> > Because you rarely need exposure compensation greater than +/- 2 stops
> I don't think so :) this is not the reason.
> Well you say that 2 2/3 stops is the difference between 18% and 100%
> And what is the difference in stops between 18% and 0% ?

Infinity. You can't open a lens wide enough to properly expose pure black.

tOM
--------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980