Re: [OM] Old Oly OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Oly OM
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:36:15 +0100
Is there no way to get it professionaly realuminised? Has anyone tried
a well equipped astronomy repair shop or ever a skilled amateur
telescope maker. I'm sure they could do it. I have a book at home in
which various silvering mixtures and their ingredients are provided.
Many of the chemicals are dangerous but I dare say that in the right
conditions and precautions realuminising of a pentaprism surface could
be performed quite well. Any ideas?

> >>How long before old foam turns to goo is it too late..or
> >>is their still hope in reviving the ol' gal?
> >>

> >How long ?  I think this depends on environmental conditions, however I
> >wouldn't
> >expect too many OM-1s to have good original foam.  Replacement of the back
> >seals and mirror buffers can be done by anyone with reasonable mechanical
> >skills (there are instructions on the FAQ I believe).  If there is rotting
> >foam on the
> >pentaprism, I would recommend a professional to repair it.

Gareth.J.Martin,
Research Postgraduate,
School of Geographical Sciences,
University of Bristol,