Re: [OM] a final answer on F280 flash duration

Subject: Re: [OM] a final answer on F280 flash duration
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:52:23 -0400
On Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 9:43, William Sommerwerck
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] a final answer on F280 flash d" saying:

> "On auto exposure, the duration is always ~1/25. This is close to the full
> time
> from 1st curtain open to 2nd curtain close at 1/60.  The curtains take 1/80
> (12.5ms) to go across the frame, so for 1/60th (16.666ms) exposure the shutter
> travel is 16.666 + 12.5  = 28.66 ms or 1/29 second. For 1/2000,  .5 + 12.5  =
> 1/77. Of course, on auto, you don't know the final shutter speed when you
> start
> the exposure and you don't want to run out of light before you finish."
>
> I hadn't thought of that. Right! It takes 1/60 s for the first shutter to
> open,
> then another 1/60 s for it to close (at an effective shutter speed of 1/60),
> so
> the flash would have to fire for at least 1/30 second.

Don't forget, for a focal plane shutter, as soon as there's film showing,
the flash has to be on. For 1/60, the full frame is open only for 4 ms or
less - most of the exposure time (actually about 29ms) is while the lead
curtain is opening or the trailing curtain is closing. Every photo, even at
1/1000, actually takes about 1/30th for the whole frame to be exposed, tho
any part just gets the dialed in amount.

Check http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-streak.html